Navigating the roads can be a scary experience, especially in Georgia. Known for having one of the highest accident rates and car insurance costs in the country, Georgia is one of the most dangerous places to be as a driver.
In Marietta specifically, there are many factors that cause frequent car accidents. That’s why it’s important to hire a Marietta auto accident attorney to help protect you and ensure you get fair compensation if you find yourself in a car accident.
Are you curious to learn more about some of the most common causes of car accidents in Marietta, and what happens afterwards? Find out more below.
Top Causes of Auto Accidents in Marietta
- Texting while driving
- Being distracted while driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Aggressive driving
- Running Stop sign or red light
Common Injuries from Auto Accidents
Every day, many victims of auto accidents experience one or more of these severe outcomes due to auto accidents:
- Organ damage
- Broken bones
- Brain damage
- Loss of arm or leg
- Paralysis (complete or partial)
- Various other injuries
What Should I Do if I’m Injured in an Auto Accident in Marietta GA?
Depending on the severity of the auto accident, a driver may be facing substantial injury or loss of function. Recovering from the injuries, coping with any financial liabilities, and adjusting your daily activities can be very difficult, but there is help. A qualified Marietta auto accident lawyer can mitigate some of these issues, handling the legal process and working to make sure you receive every dollar of compensation legally allowed for your losses.
One of the first things you should do is get a medical examination. This will let you know exactly what damages you’re dealing with and how your life may be impacted by the incident. From there, you will need to find an auto accident attorney that is equipped to handle the ensuing legal process.
If you have been injured in an auto accident, you need to take prompt action to protect your legal rights. Keep in mind that the state of Georgia places a time limit on filing a claim in civil court after an auto accident, so it’s important that you move quickly. Contact an experienced Marietta car accident attorney to help you communicate with the insurance companies and begin the process of obtaining a settlement or judgement from the court, so you can start getting your life back on track.
What Happens After an Auto Accident in Georgia?
If you are in an auto accident in the state of Georgia, expect these steps to be followed:
- Police will follow their department’s standard law enforcement protocols, including documenting the events that led to the auto accident. They will attempt to determine who was at fault. A police report is usually filled out at the location of the accident.
- Your Marietta personal injury lawyer will review the accident report. Your attorney will then hire an independent expert to perform an analysis of all relevant facts of the auto accident.
- The expert will then examine the crash site as well as the remaining pieces of all vehicles involved in the accident. The expert will then present a professional assessment of what occurred in the accident and a conclusion on the cause.
- Your attorney will prepare a compensation claim for you, based upon the findings in the independent expert’s accident analysis.
Who Must Pay for My Losses from an Auto Accident?
Georgia drivers are legally required to obey all laws regarding driving and maintaining the operating condition of motor vehicles. They must adjust their driving as necessary to compensate for weather or visibility conditions that impact traffic safety. If you become injured because someone else was negligent in meeting any of these safety responsibilities, you may be entitled to financial compensation from one or more parties, including:
- The driver or other person who was at fault for the accident.
- The auto insurance company for the person who caused the accident.
- Another person or other entity with financial responsibility for damages that that person causes.
- A vehicle owner or driver who was negligent in correcting issues that contributed to the cause of the accident.
- A company or individual for whom a contractor is loading or driving a vehicle improperly.
- A manufacturer or government department or agency that was negligent in addressing an unsafe condition that contributed to the cause of the auto accident.
What Compensation Can I Receive for My Losses?
If you are injured in an auto accident in Georgia, you may be entitled to compensation for various kinds of losses you have incurred, including:
- Medical expenses
- Property damages
- Loss of income
- Loss of future income
- Loss of physical function
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
How Can a Marietta Auto Accident Lawyer Help Me?
Insurance companies have many attorneys, investigators, and resources to help protect themselves from paying for claims in cases of serious injury. Struggling alone against their teams and trying to comply with all requirements of the Georgia civil court system jeopardizes your chances of getting what you deserve. An experienced Marietta personal injury lawyer will do all that it takes to ensure that you receive all of the compensation that the law allows in your case.
Your lawyer can:
- Help you get quality medical care during your entire recovery.
- Manage your case, to see that every possible action is taken to make sure you receive all the financial compensation you deserve.
- Get an independent expert analysis of all facts regarding the accident.
- Obtain testimonies from eye witnesses.
- Collect all possible video and photo evidence.
- Make sure that every legal requirement is satisfied during the civil process.
- Build a compelling argument to present to the court for judgment.
- Keep you informed on the progress of your claim throughout the process.
Morrison & Hughes, Marietta GA
Morrison & Hughes is a personal injury law firm that specializes in car & truck accidents and other personal injury cases. If you or a loved one has recently been in an auto accident and need a Marietta auto accident attorney to help with your case, contact Morrison & Hughes, to schedule a consultation. We help auto accident victims throughout Marietta protect their legal rights and receive all compensation to which they’re entitled under Georgia state law.