Marietta Semi Truck Accident Lawyer
An accident with a commercial truck is more complex to deal with than a car accident because determining who to file a lawsuit against isn’t easy. The driver, the trucking company, manufacturer, insurance provider, or those responsible for maintenance and repair could all share some of the blame. Our Marietta truck accident lawyer will perform a thorough investigation to determine whose actions caused your injuries. Remember that it is important to contact a semi truck accident lawyer immediately before the evidence to prove your case disappears.
After filing your lawsuit against the appropriate parties, your semi-truck accident lawyer may request assistance from an accident reconstruction specialist. Our firm is also prepared to fight for you against the insurance company and attorneys representing the other party.
A commercial truck has 18 wheels and weighs in excess of 80,000 pounds compared to the typical 4,000 pounds of most cars. The following are some of the most common causes of accidents between commercial trucks and private cars when the truck driver is at fault:
- Driving while fatigued or falling asleep while driving
- Consuming too much alcohol or using drugs at a level that impairs thinking and reaction times
- A driver not knowing the area well and attempting to use a GPS navigation system while driving
- Speeding and not being able to bring the truck to a complete stop in enough time to avoid a crash
- A driver not checking each side of the truck or the blind spots when attempting to change lanes or turn in front of another vehicle
- Making lane changes without signaling
- Driver distraction such as texting, eating, or changing the radio station
- Aggressive driving and road rage
In some situations, the truck driver did everything right and still caused an accident. This can happen when the company responsible for manufacturing or maintenance of the truck failed in its duties. He or she may also be working under the orders of a supervisor who knows the person is too tired to drive or the truck is overloaded. A truck accident attorney in Marietta can help you determine who is to blame for the accident and your subsequent injuries.
Safety Rules All Truckers Must Follow, or Face a Skilled Semi Truck Accident Lawyer
One of the responsibilities of a truck accident lawyer is to track applicable laws to determine liability in personal injury cases. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), all truckers must follow these safety rules:
- Sleep for eight or more hours before a scheduled shift
- Take regular 30-minute breaks when traveling a long distance
- Not drive more than 70 hours in eight days or 60 hours in seven days
- Not working more than 11 straight hours if the driver has not rested for at least 10 hours before the shift. Maximum allowable work hours include loading, inspecting, and other pre-travel duties.
- Maintain records of hours driven and rest breaks
Your semi truck accident lawyer will determine whether the truck driver broke any rules as well as the parties responsible for your injuries. Please fill out our online contact form here, and receive a FREE personal consultation from a highly skilled car and truck accident attorney in Marietta at Morrison & Hughes today.